- Airports create localised air quality problems.
- These are not only due to emissions from airplanes, but also mainly to road traffic at and around airports, and emissions from ground service equipment and auxiliary power units.
- The main pollutants affecting local air quality are emissions of Nitrogen oxides (NOx) and Particulate Matter (PM)
- Although air pollution problems around London City do not exceed legal limits, it is a concern for the thousands of people live close to the airport where the air pollution is at its worst
- The playground of one local school is just 200 yards from City Airport